Nova Corcoran - Senior Lecturer health promotion/public health and Claire Everett - Nutritionist and foodie

13.5.11

First week of eating local

My first local only mini shopping trip was to Waitrose.

What could I not get
I was amazed at what was not local - broccoli, cauliflowers, all types of beans which i can get in the local fruit and veg shop from local suppliers are not available in Waitrose. Beans and peas came from kenya, Zambia and other Africa counties, with squash coming from Argentina. One packet of peas and baby corn was from two countries that are no-where near each other.

I found...
I managed to find tomatos, peppers, courgettes, carrots, parsnips, swede, potatoes, onions, apples, pears and rhubarb all UK produced. Difficult to tell how local they are though and overall more expensive than my local fruit and veg shop. Plenty of spag bol coming up for our house!

Good things
Labelling of meat was much clearer as all you have to do is look for the GB flag on their meat and there is plenty of choice all identical prices to the non UK stuff with many included in various offers. This impressed me. They even do take away curry with UK chicken.

1 comment: